Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Are U Worth?

In my food blogs I spoke about what our society has come to when we accept eating junk food, because it is less expensive, but really when you are feeding more than a few mouths it gets really expensive!...and then they are hungry an hour later...well how about this piece I found...can you imagine how the child will feel when they get older?

updated 9:44 p.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 12, 2009

GREENFIELD, Calif. - Police have arrested a Greenfield man for allegedly arranging to sell his 14-year-old daughter into marriage in exchange for $16,000, 100 cases of beer and several cases of meat.

Police said they only learned of the deal after the 36-year-old man went to them to get his daughter back because payment wasn't made as promised. The man was arrested Sunday on suspicion of human trafficking.

Officers also arrested an 18-year-old man on suspicion of statutory rape. Investigators believe the girl went willingly with the man, but she's under California's legal age of consent and can't legally marry.

4 comments:

Debra said...

Dang! The most I ever got for myself was a six pack! Okay, that was actually someone's idea of a date with me (when I was single, of course) and he thought he was going to get lucky.

Seriously, that story is truely sad!

Unknown said...

Well now you all know my dad now lol. He was a jerk they might actually be best friends.

Chef E said...

I never had this happen, but I am sure by the time I was 14-17, my mom wished she had sold me, lol, I was the rebellious that moved out when I graduated two months before I turned 17, while the other siblings hung around forever!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

You don't really expect this to happen in the US.

Very sad.