Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Are We Safe?

TODAY'S RANT: How many times do I have to hear "Is It Safe" when I mention going into Trenton to do an Open Mic, and most recently a school, Isles Youth School, has asked us to perform and teach from 1-4 PM, January 31st, this coming Saturday. My reply is "Well I hear Camden or West Philly is worse". They always reply "Well...Yeah".

I grew up in a mostly African American, Hispanic neighborhood in my early years, and was the minority- (me who is part Caucasian) neighborhood. I know what violence is, and know that it extends beyond the borders we build around our own lives. I have had a forty five magnum waved and pointed at me by my father and a lone gunman who came in my work place at four thirty in the morning to rob me.

So this little twenty minute drive, that may or may not lead you to park near a suspicious house, that may or may not house a thief or gang member, who may or may not whack you as you get out of your car in broad daylight...hey maybe they will jack your GPS system that you stupidly left on your dash board, or that bag in the back seat you forgot to put into the trunk.

I say do not leave home with valuables you would worry so much about, the car has insurance that already gets over used by thoughtless people, and yourselves...well that is precious cargo, but I have been to 'the' neighborhood of that area and seen people just like me walking all around, and felt very safe. Fear no longer dwells in this mind or body any longer, it held me captive for a long time, but now I am glad to say I am a Knowmen...

Question: What is SAFE today?

Stop judging...because we are not even safe in our own homes anymore, not to mention the crazy drivers that roam the streets in 'BROAD DAYLIGHT'...

TERMS OF USE: This blog is not meant or directed at anyone one person and by reading it if you become paranoid or offended, well maybe you should think about accepting the truth written by the very opinionated author- Chef E.

JOKE: Returning home from work, a blonde was shocked to find her house ransacked and burglarized.

She telephoned the police at once and reported the crime. The police dispatcher broadcast the call on the channels, and a K-9 unit patrolling nearby was the first to respond.

As the K-9 officer approached the house with his dog on a leash, the blonde ran out on the porch, shuddered at the sight of the cop and his dog, then sat down on the steps.

Putting her face in her hands, she moaned, "I come home to find all my possessions stolen. I call the police for help, and what do they do? They send me a BLIND policeman!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks to have your window broke, but I liked the joke.

I feel pretty safe compared to most of the world.

Chef E said...

That actually is not my car...there is a message in what I am trying to say, maybe I should not have used picture with this?

Rachel Cotterill said...

Most people are paranoid. Like most people are paranoid about going on holiday to somewhere 'strange' even though it's probably safer than your nearest big city...

Debra said...

Good joke! In this day and time you need to be cognizant of all your surroundings, because anything can happen to you anywhere. Good question that you posed.

Just telling it like it is said...

Wow... I love your honestly...
Your a faboulous person is all I know...
I'm not sure we are ever safe ...
but I can kick some arse does that count!!! I would kick some arse for you definitively!!!

Girl Rants said...

your awesome. i agree with alot of what you say. im big city and its pretty safe. i have no problem walking through brooklyn at night, nor any other steriotypical "unsafe" areas. frankly id feel LESS safe in Orange county where the real housewives are. they scare a girl..