Saturday, January 31, 2009

Transparency- Chef E Revealed


She does not were make up, highlights her hair, had to start wearing glasses at forty, sounds nasalize'ize (made up word), tells corny jokes, can still shake her booty, and has her foot up into the pan (means I have been told I can cook)...

Telling Christine AKA Mistress of Cakes that I thought about coming out of the shadows to show you how overweight I have gotten in the past year since my bio photo, and maybe it will help jet me into reality of seeing myself on camera today too...I had a big guy hug me and said he liked a little meat on his woman...

Today my group was invited to downtown Trenton to do a show and teach (Isle Youth School), a safe haven for kids to not be out on the streets. We talked to them about Open Mic, stage presence, singing and writing. How it has (can) changed our lives...what it means to us, and many of my guys have come out today, and talked about their younger years of coming from the trenches themselves...alcohol, drugs, time in jail...they so opened up and related to these kids. We spent the afternoon with.

They ask me to come back and teach some cooking classes, and us to do a performance again. Two of these kids read some of their poetry and almost knock me off my feet...also one of my regulars was playing and it was a catchy beat, so I got up and danced around the room!

I love volunteering and seeing how kids like this do what they can to redirect their lives in a positive way...

I have made a great bunch of friends through my Cultural Art Expression Group, but why are they all men? Would Freud have something interesting to say about this...

We will have footage of 'E' sessions uploaded with in the next few days, and you can put a voice to the face...click HERE

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched the youtube presentation of your poetry..my favorite one was about you and your siblings growing up. I closed my eyes and just listened to your words letting the scenery build around me. Brought tears to my eyes E.

Christine

Girl Rants said...

your awesome. period. who gives a crap about soul cages anyhow. i think you are beautiful!

youtube link please

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing you've been doing for youth. That makes me happy!

Just telling it like it is said...

Ahhh but you are soooo beautiful!! and talented

Just telling it like it is said...

I watch Oprah and I have lost 10lbs it was that or go to my mother's house and have her make me loose the pounds and my mind...
My sister went to stay with my Ma and lost 40lbs...My Ma likes to regulate...