Friday, January 2, 2009

Glamour Shots & Reminiscing...

I was cleaning up tonight, and decided to look through the photos my sister sent to me from my parents house. She and her son cleaned it out and sold it last year...

Can you guess which one is me...homely and my mother told me I could not cut my hair because 'my father' preferred it long...yeah right mom, I understand now that we were poor...you did make our clothes until high school...then I refused to wear elastic waist pants when all the other girls had levis...

...when I got got to sixth grade and joined junior drama I got a bit more mode in my fashion sense...Mom still made my dresses...and also one Spanish friend, Sylvia Barrientos, in this pic is one of my characters in my new novella I am writing...she and I stayed friends until I got married and we lost touch...good friend and worthy of a book...

That year was memorable...Ms Petty used to bring her guitar and sing with us...she let me start a puppet group, and we made little sets for our faux Broadway shows...imagine if I had become a star like I thought I would...

Whoa...can you say 80's and beauty school put a spin on my look...you could say I got a lot more attention from the men after this! That head band, and way too much makeup (I actually worked as a makeup artist for photographers during this period), what the hell was I thinking taking that off my neck and wrapping it around my over permed do...

4 comments:

Photonuts said...

Girl you were so cute!

Debra said...

First of all, you were hot! The 80's (I think) was the worst decade as far as fashion and we all did it! ha,ha!

BTW - what kind of book are you writing?

Anonymous said...

I love old photos.

I love the glamour shot at the end. You look great.

Dee said...

I love these photos. Those group school photos all seemed to look the same didn't they? The 1980's...we all had our hair permed & I am so glad we don't have to go through that anymore. That stuff was terrible to smell. You looked pretty good but I think I purged all the photos of me in the post perm period. Trying to explain these decisions now to adult children make it all seem so crazy & I know we weren't!!!