Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jello Shots are still a hit...

What are we back in college...well I still feel like I am 21, and once in a while I like them...who does not like jello? Better than that molded stuff my grandmother used to make with fruit in it...

I went to say hello to HOODCHICK yesterday and noticed her funny rant about making jello shots, well you know that sparked a funny memory from this past September...

Hubby and I went on a long vacation, if you want to see more I posted a blog about it here- PNW...so you know me of course, when I visit a place I have to check out the local pubs, cause there are always 'characters', or interesting people who sit at the bar counter...I am one...the stories you hear are hysterical or just right down sad...but this has a happy ending...

These guys start asking me where I am from, so I say originally Texas, but in NJ now...and then they say 'so your a chef huh'?...and I say 'Yeah'...'Why'?...they say 'well we were in Texas once and saw this dish, and was wondering if you knew how to make it'...'I said, what was that'?...they said 'chicken fried steak'...I said 'yeah, I know how to make it' and like most who have never had it want to know what are the components...is it chicken stuffed with steak, you know the ideas that pop in someones head...and I think they were smoking some funny stuff out back...

The bartender is the owner, and he says hey that sounds good could you go show us now? Well I never pass up an opportunity to cook for others and we were hungry too...and for a few laughs, hey why not? ...so I am back there checking out the kitchen and showing them...that it is just a pounded out piece of strip steak (typically round steak was used in my house), soaked in cream or buttermilk (no buttermilk in that kitchen), and then deep friend, with homemade pan gravy...buttttttttttttt...I out of the corner of my eye in one of the coolers...what do I see...a loaded sheet pan full of jello shots!

Let my pics show you just what was next...no harm, except the hubby says no matter where he takes me he always ends up at a party...lol (he loves it!)

We were on vacation, ate and drank that night for free...

OH, BTW for those of you who have never had one, you stick either your tongue or finger into the cup and go around the outside of the jello and suck it down...over and out...Chef Livin'Lavida Loca

HOODCHICK posted a recipe for Jello Shots, yeppie.....

13 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OMG you crack me up! I love that you just went back into their kitchen and was like no problem you do this ...

Then end with Jello Shots! Right on, taking me back to college!

Girl Rants said...

awesome. love the pic too.
love the story. its good to live you life making friends everywhere you go!

im not a jello shot fan myself. im more grey goose orange and red bull. but either way, im down..

Gen said...

Jello Shots ROCK!!! next game night jello shots for all!

Chef E said...

Your On...I guess since I am the chef I have to make them :(, but your helping girlie!

Debra said...

Oh man! I love Jello shots! I have a friend that makes them in the molds and we eat them as finger food. LOL!

Debra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wunderwoman said...

Sounds like alot of fun!

Thanks to you and Hoodchick, I know what I'm having this weekend....hey, it is my birthday Sunday;)

HoodChick said...

Ok, got the "recipe" on my site if it actually qualifies. Odd, I don't think of myself as much of a cook but between this, the peanut butter fudge on raisy and I just got an apple dumpling recipe from my SIL that I will have to post, something seems to be cooking!

Dee said...

Gosh, too funny! I went to college in Louisiana & believe me we had the jello shots there. My youngest daughter was telling me about making them with a friend recently & I had to laugh. What memories..I need to whip up a batch for the next get together here South of the Border! Say, I thought you had music on this blog?

Christo Gonzales said...

chicken fried steak is NOT pounded out chicken - it is steak...funny though that you scored some jello shots....

Chef E said...

writing at 3 AM sometimes makes ones mind a bit mushy, so I corrected it...Thank You Dog-

esk said...

Hilarious! You're awesome - great photo!

Debra said...

You can pound chicken or steak, still a good blog. Others can pound sand if they don't like it...ha,ha!Just messin'..........