Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I want some grass...


I used to love the spring nights of my Texas home and birthplace, as my children were young and lively, one ran fast and hard, hitting the pillow just about the same way at bedtime; while the other fell from simple exhaustion, and lurking sadness that beat within her chamber walls.

Once all was quiet, crickets chirping, with even the slightest breeze entered my open door, I would push the screen open and walk down five steps into my front yard garden, lay down in the uncut grass that took me away to a earthy tropical fantasy, sometimes ecstasy as I lay under two pecan trees and remember my youth.

Boredom would send this child outside to the side of our house, under my mothers watchful eye through kitchen window, on the slope that ended at unseen fence lines in the perfect soft bed of Saint Augustine blades that only grew in direct sun; that cost you a hot summers thirst, but tickled your neck, legs, hiding tiny insects that found refuge upon your skin, across your hairline borders, as snow angel moves made a girl look like she was possibly mentally challenged, but really a day dreamer who lives in the moment of old memories, and a love for escape in some grass under nights cover...

I now live in a condo with only a small patch of what I call golf green, gravel and pavement as my lawn, a reminder of what I left behind...and have no control...and if it wasn't for Some Good Dirt, we would have none...

6 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I couldn't live in a place without grass. And trees. And wildlife...

Unknown said...

I used spend hours outside when I was a girl..it was my refuge. For years I lived in town with nothing but pavement. When we got married Alan and I decided that is where we belong. I feel at home amoung the trees and grass...so does he.

Anonymous said...

I live in a small house, but we have a big yard. It seems like a fair trade to me.

Do you at least live near a good park? Borrowed grass is almost better than having a yard - all the fun and none of the work.

Debra said...

I'll be sure to send you some grass clippings this summer.;-)

Are you getting alot of snow in New Jersey? We may be getting up to a foot by tomorrow morning. Oh joy!

HoodChick said...

I lived in an apartment for a while. The only thing that kept me sane was the pool. The only grass were small strips with some bushes around the perimeter of the buildings.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I love the smell of fresh cut grass, as long as the smell of my tegro is gone (check out my funny comment on your other blog).

We go to a LOT of parks so the kids can play. We have a smaller back yard with nice grass that I Paid a pretty penny for, but must go where more kids are! So to the park with nice grass and of course a jungle gym :).

Love the posts!