Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Texas Chronicles- I Can Hardly Stand Myself!







I think from my last post 'All My Ex's Live In Texas' that you can tell I am excited!!! I am 'Country Fried'...

Plans are being laid as we speak, or at least as I type. I already know what I am doing for my birthday that first weekend. First things first, we are going to Babe's Chicken Dinner House, and par'takin in some fine southern dining! Can you say Chicken 'Fried' Steak?

Oh hell, I know am blowing my healthy eating lifestyle out of the water with this place, and the Tex-Mex I will be eating. Many people I have met here in the North East, unless they are from the south, do not know what 'chicken fried' is. One person told me she thought it was chicken stuffed in a piece of meat...so many funny explanations!














Not many restaurants in Texas knew the concept of BYOB like they do in Jersey; until the last eight or so years. Only a few did before we moved. You either found something to serve up a cool one, or you were just out of luck!

Many areas around the state are either 'Dry' (no alcohol sold), or 'Wet' (alcohol sold), but then you have your Sunday, when beer is only sold, so no liquor stores are open, and beer only sold after 9 PM, when liquor stores close, and convenient stores sell only beer (only after noon), and maybe wine; then you got your restaurants in 'Dry' areas that require this stupid 'membership', or 'Uni' card that meant you showed proof of a legal age, and they have it on record. We won't even go into that dumb butt 'blue law' they used to have when I was in my late teens.

(1827) Blue Law- created to enforce moral standards; nothing sold on a Sunday that even suggested recreational activities, because you should be in church instead. Only food, drinks, and emergency necessities allowed; originally only drug stores allowed. Now if you got lucky and had a new cashier you could haul as much fun stuff as you liked, but good luck!

Leave it to Texas to be one of the last states to take away the 'Blue Law', but where you could still haul a shotgun in the back window of your truck openly, shack up with your loved one in sin, and still be considered 'Common Law'; drive and drink 'Bubba Law' (with a can of beer in your lap anytime of the day), and my father took that one seriously! Now much of that has been changed due to strict FDA laws, but I got the memories...

So this BYO makes it even better for us to bring our own choice of drinks and a cheaper bill at the end! If we had some kids; which we don't... They play music for the kiddies, and the wait staff join in with this little diddy...

Hokey Pokey Lyrics

Written By: Roland Lawrence LaPrise, concocted the song along with two fellow musicians in the late 1940s for the ski crowd in Sun Valley, Idaho. The group, the Ram Trio, recorded the song in 1949. In 1953, bandleader Ray Anthony bought the rights and recorded The Hokey Pokey on the B-side of another novelty record, The Bunny Hop. After the Ram Trio disbanded in the 1960s, country star Roy Acuff's publishing company bought the rights to The Hokey Pokey. Copyright 1950, Acuff-Rose Music Inc.

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your left foot in,
You put your left foot out;
You put your left foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your right hand in,
You put your right hand out;
You put your right hand in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your left hand in,
You put your left hand out;
You put your left hand in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your right side in,
You put your right side out;
You put your right side in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your left side in,
You put your left side out;
You put your left side in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your nose in,
You put your nose out;
You put your nose in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your backside in,
You put your backside out;
You put your backside in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your head in,
You put your head out;
You put your head in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

You put your whole self in,
You put your whole self out;
You put your whole self in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about

Yep, That's what its all about folks!

















Tomorrow is 'Friday Shoot Out' So, get out there and take some great 'GARDEN' photos!

8 comments:

Chris said...

Chicken fried steak with sawmill gravy makes me sound like I'm religious when I eat it because I keep saying "Oh god, Oh god".

How ironic that Lynchburg TN, home of the Jack Daniels distillery is a dry county, huh?

valentine said...

i am originally southern, so i do love me some chicken fried steak, with fried okra and sweet cornbread, unfortunately, not a lot of that in utah :(

i love that you typed out the entire hokey pokey! LOL

thanks for stopping by my blog, your comments really made my day!!!
hope to hear from you again.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Now I have that song stuck in my head ... LOL

Debra said...

OMG! We had Blue Laws in Louisiana when I was a teen also! The thing I remember the most is that I could not buy panythose on Sunday's. How retarded! ha,ha

Heather S-G said...

mmmm, chicken fried. Love chicken fried! No alcohol sold what-so-ever in Indiana on Sundays...when in the world will that change!? Good thing I live a few minutes from the MI border! ;)

dash deringer said...

mmmmm - I love me some chicken fried steak... and common law...trust me - you love common law too... there is no need to bring lawyers and the government into our personal lives.
and I remember dry counties too - like lubbock... it sucked.

magic word today - colgatex

Chef E said...

Actually ya'll I am going for the catfish when I get there :), I do not fry hardly a fritter these days...I cannot stand the oil in the air!

Figured many of you knew what I's talkin' 'bout!

Dash- So you enjoyed Lubbock did you? The reason I tried to hide my southern roots when I was in Europe, there was this girl on our bus who was being made fun of, so I slipped into a less of a draw'l...not I poke fun at it!

Brittany said...

Oh. My. Goodness.
I didn't know that "Northerners" weren't familiar with "chicken fried!"
I was raised on the yummy, crispy, fried goodness! :)

It was great to have you visit my blog today! I have really enjoyed your comments. And, I am flattered that my foodie pics made you drool!
Please stop by anytime, and have fun with the meme!