Thursday, May 28, 2009

Friday Shoot Out- Water

















Water is the theme for our Friday Shoot Out this week. My holiday weekend was full of water. Actually you can find me, if I go missing, almost always seeking out the nearest body of water and a boat if I can get my hands on one. This is my hubby's youngest brothers home on the beach of Long Island. He is a fertility doctor that has done well for himself the past seven years, since he got out of medical school, we call him 'Anasazi Doc'...

I grew up thinking most families found solace in watery adventures and on vacations like mine did...
















Seems like lately I 'intend to' do more involved posts, but unfortunately I received two sets of bad news. My sister Donna Kay's father passed away Wednesday; which he has been touch and go for months now, and my brother-in-law of forty-one years old 'Anasazi Doc' has cancer. We will know more, as we have found out it takes time, and full of waiting...






















Sometimes reflecting on what we have, we've lost, and what is to come helps put things in perspective. A good long walk helps too....



















Many natural rivers and canals surround me here in New Jersey. Some most excellent fishing occurs, dudes!
















If you look close enough you will see my artist view of my fishing partner and sweetie fishing off the damn wall, no I am not cursing, just a typo...he is fishing off the Dam wall!

















Nothing like a little natural scenery to get you in the mood for some good poetry...

















Pretty Brook (2)


Sputtering brook

winding down

as far as eyes can see

just past our way

fish jump

hearts pump

as lines are cast

the fresh taste of things to come...


Cast iron heat

with a little oil, cornmeal

breading and baiting

patience and waiting

listen to geese, bullfrogs

small birds, the breeze

the quiet moments we steal...


Watch men in waders pass by

in and out of glory

their big fish stories

dip down

into watery holes

up to their knees

You and me,

a pole, wiggly worms and hook

sharing landscape

full of more history than fish

mile for mile

casting a new path

down off Pretty Brook...


- E Stelling, 2008 © Revised 8/25/08- Published 'Delaware River Valley Journal, 2008






















Some like water in unusual ways... A waitress let me snap a photo of her newest tattoo...



My adopted sister, Donna Kay is a photographer, and I would like to honor her with some photos taken on a trip to Cap Cod, and she knows my thoughts and heart is with her...

Of course she just wanted to travel somewhere she has not been to get some good photos for her business, and pleasure. Me, I have one request. Whale sightings that involve boats! So we go, and not only do we get a wonderful extended summer weather in October, but we hit the whale jackpot on this trip out.

We have so much fun together when we travel, a hoot and a holler as we say in the south!




Boy, did they show off for us! Wish I had the one of me on the window of the boat. I threw myself up against the window with my mouth wide open as if a bird had just dropped me. Donna looked up and almost wet her pants, and snapped a photo...tis a hoot and a holler too!

















My own blue whale pic taken off the coast of San Juan Island, WA... We could not get any closer due to so many boats out there...






















I know it will be hard for her, as I miss my father, and remember spending a lot of time in his boat in the photo above...

My father always said..."We Akin might give out, but we never give up", and those are words I still live by today. If the motor ever gave out, we knew he would jump in and swim us back to shore...






















I will finish this off with a big glass of soothing tea. Yep, Grover's Mill Coffee House serves up this hot cup of what my first though 'Aquarium Water'.
















It is a flower bud that opens up once it begins to steep in the water. Soothing, and just what I needed to wash away and ease busy days gone by...

If you want to join us in our fun Friday Shoot Out, all you have to do is look for the theme that will be added later, and at the end of this post, so come back and see what was picked for next week! Go check out some of the other posts below...

Reggie @ Midlife and Menopause
Patty @ Crisfield News
Rachel @ Rachel's Ramblings
Lulu @ Serendipity LuLu
Science Girl @ Science Girl Traveler
Gigi @ Gigigriffis
J9 @ J9 and Stuff!
Gordon @ Friday Shoot Out
Doreen @ Shoot Out Michigan
GirliChef @ Off Topic
Jama @ Mummy Jam
Chris @ An Instant Out of Time

and many many more... What fun way to take a look around our world!!!

17 comments:

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!
I love that you paid tribute to your sister Donna Kay. Tell her that us gangster's will be thinking of her and that her photography is so amazing
The shot of the hunnyman fishing off the "damn wall" made me laugh and that tattoo snap is hysterical Elizabeth. Okay, I'm not entirely sure that I would drink that tea. Are you sure that's tea??
Your poetry made this "Shoot-Out" so special......
You're a treasure :)
Have a weekend filled with love, joy and laughter and......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Heather S-G said...

Did you know that I finally joined in this week!? On my "other" blog girlichefofftopic. blogspot.com...love your photos (cool tattoo, actually). I'm sorry to hear about your sister's loss :( Beautiful words :)

Gordon said...

I always enjoy browsing your blog and finding another morsel of poetry. Your shoot-out was first class. Your commentary is always equal to your terrific photos.
Thanks, Elizabeth.
Walk With Faith,Gordon

Unknown said...

first off, sorry of your family's woes.

just a fantastic post all around! love the story along with all the marvelous pics. awesome job!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Elizabeth.......please help me welcome Jama from Singapore this week.......
http://mummyjam.blogspot.com/2009/05/friday-shoot-out-water.html
Lovely shots she's done and what a beautiful place :)
You're awesome gal........

Steady On
Reggie Girl

GingerV said...

great selection of WATER - I enjoyed your view of the water world. have a great weekend

soulbrush said...

i loved rambling through your photos. hugs.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Wow what a wonderful post! Love all the pictures. And that tatoo was very cool, not sure I would want it for a lifetime but very cool!

Chris said...

Look! I finally did it:)

Barry said...

What a beautiful and very moving post. I loved it, right down to the last cup of tea!

aurbie said...

Is that a jasmine flower? I order those once a year for my tea. They are so hard to find.

Moving post, and great photos. I love the first one, ChefE.

Come on down and hang off our boat sometimes. Seriously. We'll have cup of jasmine tea.

Have a great weekend!

Just telling it like it is said...

Beautiful...simply beautiful I love the sea...
I am not sure when I am going to dallas e-mail me so we can make some plans!!!

Chef E said...

Yes Patty it is Jasmine, and I found sites you can order them from, and only for a $1 each! I will bring some down when I visit...

Zaroga said...

Just a beautiful post. The photos and the thoughts that go with them.

I'm sorry for your sister's loss and to her your b-i-l has cancer.

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Wow, now I am not sure what picture I love the best. I thought it was the beach photos, just wonderful. But then I found the ones of the whales, well they have to get the gold medal. How cool that she actually got to see those whales and snap such great pics of them. From the artistic point of view, that one of your honey fishing from the wall of the little dam is just FABULOUS!! I like that one the best. What a great collection of water photos. I scrolled up and down several times just to enjoy them all!! Debby

Jama said...

Great collection of water here, love every single one of them.
So sorry to hear of your sis's loss, my deepest condolence to the family.

J9 said...

That whale tail of Donna Kay's is really great! I also love the shot of the stream - right before the poem. I always love the movement of water, and I think you captured it well.