Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wawkin & Tawkin G.R.I.T.S.











Debra @ Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History is giving tutorials in my beloved southern lingo, so I decided to spread the love...well, her idea, but we both share the same up bringing! If her and I were...umm...flying the same rainbow colors...I might have to ask her if I could court her :)

Here are a few words she posted that I use now and again, but I do not have the 'ak-cent' I once did before college. In Jersey, of course, I do sound like a hick in the woods up against all the mobsta's. Oh lord, hubby just said he can hear it clear as knite as I am reading it!

When daddy (southern for father) and I used to get off the phone as my children were growing up; my son would say that he just did not understand who I had become through the whole conversation. Now my sister and I used to make fun of momma (southern for mother) when she would get off the phone with her daddy (a Louisiana boy), so I guess it is in the hearin'...

Wawk - a method of of non-polluting travel by foot. "Why don't we take an old-fashioned wawk?" OMG! I so pronounce walk this way. Eek!

Fawt - What Yankees and Southerners did when the South asked for a divorce in 1861 and the North refused to grant it. "Nobody fawt like Stonewall Jackson." Way useless trivia fact: Stonewall, Louisiana is named after the ole boy.

Dite - what people do to lose weight. "I think I am going on a dite."

Supper - the evening meal Southerners are having while Yankees are having dinner. "What's for supper, honey?" *is supper REALLY a Southern thing? I thought everyone said that. For real.

I would get confused when I heard some use 'Dinner' as a young'un, and others say 'Supper'. I thought I was missing a meal, and no one told me!







Fline - to travel by air. "I am fline to Louisiana next month." I am guilty of this one too. And I REALLY am fline to Louisiana next month! Woo hoo!

Tump - this one is actually a colloquialism from my "neck of the woods". It is a combination of dump and tip. I have asked fellow Southerners from states other than Louisiana who had no clue about this word. "Don't tump over the glass of water." I honestly did not know that was not a real word for most my life until my hubby proved to me that it is not in the Websters dictionary. I was shawked, Southern speak for shocked.

Do any of you have any colloquialisms or sayings from your neck of the woods? If you do, then go over and add them to her comment section...

I am adding a few I am told I use often...

Dick - 'deck' something a home owner builds outside their back doors; and a stack of playing cards we use for poker night.

Yes, I get ribbed about this one on game night; which reminds me...

Knite - 'Night', when the sun goes down.

Hubby wanted to add this one, because he says these two are the ones he really notices.

Wurst- 'Worse', this will be my last one, because the more I think about this, the wurst I sound!

My new BFF, Dennis loves it when I say yur a 'Hoot and a Hollar', and ends up getting the whole group at Open Mic in on trying to sound southern. You only get a 'Hoot' if your mildy funny, but if you make me roll in the floor funny; then you get the whole 'Hoot & Hollar', Debra and many of you get a 'Hoot and a Hollar' rankin...


Sorry 'Dawg' my spell check just broak...




Oh, and I have to add one that my younger sister uses that bugs the heck out of me! She will call me and say "I just made sum banana puddin' that was REAL good"...drives me nuts!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeehaw..you got me laf'n. Ironic because I just posted about my experience with the southern tounge.s

Debra said...

LOL! Great post, E. I KNEW you would appreciate mine. ;-) I thought of you when I was writing it...ha,ha! Love ya, GRITS!

Wunderwoman said...

This is so funny! I am married to a southern boy, so I know just what you and Debra are talking about. Some of the words he says I'm like "what, I never heard of that word before" and "what the heck is ____" good post;)

Chris said...

I grew up in NE Florida on a street that had just as many kids that were born in Philly as kids who had southern families. So you were just as likely to hear youse guys as ya'll.

I never thought I had an accent because of that until my first trip to California and someone asked me, "Where are you from.....Georgia?"

Screw them, let's go over yonder and get some grits!

Anonymous said...

Roof & sausage sound very different depending on what part of Jersey you are in. I still hear some political opportunists "change" their accent depending upon whom they are speaking with/to. ~Mary

Alexis AKA MOM said...

You two crack me up! Love it girls :)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Now this is one of the funniest posts I have read in quite a while. I was thrilled that you were able to clear up so many of the words that I have never, ever understood.

My friend in Tennessee thanks you too! :)

-Francesca

Banteringblonde said...

LOVE this ... I actually read it twice! LOL I've lived in many many places and love all the different "dialects"!! My Dad says I have a mutt accent ... I still say "ya'll" here in Denver!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the education.

Just telling it like it is said...

My favorite is "shit fire" but that is just me...and I totally understand cause I from the south!!
What is wrst is that is how I spell too!!!

Donna-FFW said...

Jeet. Thats a full snetence.. Jeet. .. Did You Eat? get it. ok, im going to hide my face now.