Monday, April 27, 2009

Moving On or Living in the Past...








Delete, delete, delete, and deleted...

Amazing how many 'Anonymous' , or 'Anon' people come out of the woodwork when you say something about bullies. I must have pinned a few down with that last post. Someone even told me that if I had to look up the definition of putz then something was wrong...it is called a little creative research, and most of the people I run across in life are not assholes who would call someone that. I also know the trick of not using my own blog or website name when making a comment. I do kind of feel sorry for the person. You know how when someone was belittled as a child, and then it carries over into there own adult life...

hmmm... New Day, Thank Goodness...

Okay...my friend Steve in Dallas, "Hey Steve, I love and miss Ya"! He is so damn funny. Part of the reason I keep getting so many freaking funnies lately for this blog. He also works for Mary Kay off the North Dallas Toll Road. Have you seen that building? Pink cars are always parked in the lot around there!

Here is what he sent today...'Your childhood in one email'...and I cannot even begin to post all the darn pictures he past on to me, but I will try to get as many as I can!














My mom made pop corn in a pan with oil, so we only had this if we went to Cheryl and Carol's house for a sleep over...














The only one left in Dallas that I remember became a restaurant called, The Filling Station, and damn that big blue drink they had was a killer! Good fried mushrooms too!












I think these are still popular, if you chew gum?
















Good ole Sears and Roebuck in Downtown Dallas, south side. My mom saved, and saved these things just so she could order...uh...I do not remember what she got, but like it was yesterday I can remember going in that building. Now it is a high rise, and I helped open a restaurant on the bottom floor...







We hated these stupid things- always stuck, handle frozen, and you had to run warm water over it; which melted the ice...



















I was not much into magazines, but remember it...









The roller rink was just down the street from my house...











My brother had this he got to the 'Bee Bee' gun phase...















Now I know Girliechef reminisces about this place...we only had one of the border of Oklahoma on the way past my sister Donna's fathers gas station and snow cone stand, and only stopped once in a blue moon...















Chery, oh hello, Cheryl...remember the 'dirty' one that Giles and Danny took us to, because we were always curious about it. We giggled through the whole movie...














Robert and I went to an old historical village near Bar Harbor, and I saw one of these in the house I screamed, because my mom used this to do our laundry. We had to help hang up the clothes on the line out back and you could see clothes outside for blocks...no fences then...

















My mother let the 'real' fuller brush guy in our house...not today!













My grandfather had one of these, and I think my aunt still has it...he brought it over to record the grand kids, and our holiday gatherings...he was a gadget guy, just like my father...hey, all men are like that aren't they, lol












Yep, we all used to fight over who's turn it was to play with these...















I think my brother had one of these...










...and this one too!



















Nope, we did not know what this was...my dad was partial to a beer and BBQ sandwich, so we ate at Sonny Bryans if he had the money; then it was off to the gravel pit to fish...

















Oh Yeah...Hey Cheryl, we were just talking about Jan's Food store and how we think it was more like three cents for twice as much as you see here...



















Yep, daddy had the 'other' version, Hawkeye with this flash attachment on top...



















...and to think these made a come back when retro shops started popping up everywhere. I was/am allergic to ever greens. Yep, once hubby and I took a trip to west Texas where my father's family is from, and I rolled down the windows since it was a beautiful day. Stuck my head out the window, took a deep breath to take in the wonderful fresh day smell, clean air, and spent the rest of the day sneezing and wiping my watery eyes. We do not put a real tree up, and his family use a fake one each year. Same with cats, some dogs, most animals...freaking allergies!

Hey if anyone wants that long email with more photos from our childhood, I will be glad to forward it to ya!

8 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Wow really they need to move on why the need to come back and comment! Just for self praise or attention!!!

Love that email I've seen it a few times. How fun :)

Heather S-G said...

Yes! There's the A & W....ah. Now you've gone and made me want another rootbeer float! And a chili dog and chili cheese fries...and fried mushrooms! I must say, the rollerskate key tugged at a heartstring, too....along w/ penny (or dime) candies!

Chef E said...

Yes, how I long for the 'Wonder Years'...NOT, just the crap we used to eat, lol

Anonymous said...

I love the stove top popcorn.

It was my favorite as a kid.

(I vote hit delete and don't worry too much about people.)

Just telling it like it is said...

I like all things shiny...
Alright it is clear to me that some people are haters (how dare they be a hater on you cause ummmm they dont' really want to deal with me) Me love you of coarse...
Hun what can I say your talented...
Some can't understand that...
They can personally kiss my arse...
I'll even bend over...How'd you like that bullies..
Meanwhile I was a collector of those stamps not sure I ever got anything but I thought I was clearly rich at some point...

Chef E said...

I am movin on. All I ever wanted was for them to stay away via blog and email, I have stayed away from them...they have vowed through email they have deleted me from their feed, but I believe they still will come over just because they think they know it all, and their snarky...

I do realize there will be others that might say something, and I will just delete, delete, delete the snarky sons of bioches...

I also understand that some have to hide under anon, or anonymous because of their own reasons, but the ones that do it and are snarky are just to afraid to say it to your face...

Debra said...

I miss Green Stamps! glad to know there is someone out there who still knows what they are!

Chris said...

Great post because it reminded me of a lot!

Popcorn in oil - I burnt my mother's linoleum floor in the kitchen trying to make my own as a teenager. So embarrassed!

My sister did the Wrigley's chains too!

S & H Greenstamps...oh man I drooled over that store, we had a redemption store in Jax, FL when I was a kid.

Washing machine - my sister or brother got their hand caught in my grandmother's wringer.

Tinkertoys - Loved them, my favorite.

Erector Set - Another favorite. Trevor got a set from my parents for Christmas last year and we actually made a Thunderdoom (Mad Max) using the erector set, bamboo skewers, floral wire, and rubber bands. I was impressed myself :)

Lincoln Logs - Trevor's favorite especially after he found they fit into his toy crossbow.....DUCK!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!