Sunday, May 22, 2011

2nd Annual Bill's Figs Poetry Festival, New Jersey Poetry






















After almost a week of non stop rain, we had sunshine Saturday morning. It was May 21st, 2011 and I set out for Flemington, New Jersey. My friend/supporter Gina and I packed some of my fresh spinach artichoke dip, apples and peanut butter as we set out for a fun afternoon. I told her we were going to a Fig Farm...laughingly she never asked me what I meant. as there is no such thing...more of an orchard. She is an adventurer like me!

We had the privilege of hearing some wonderful and well published poets-

Hunterdon County poets Warren Cooper, Juditha Dowd, Kathe Palka, and Ray Brown read followed by an Open Mic. The reading is under a tent in the fig grove.

We also heard two Philadelphia poets- Adriann 'The Pen' Bautistaand, and Smyte IX- a Princeton poet, and I read too.

A representative of Painted Bride Quarterly Journal presented works as well.

In addition to hearing some great poetry, Bill has 230 different types of figs, 55 are currently available for sale. He has approximately 1,300 fig trees of different sizes on the grounds.

The poetry was wonderful! So many different styles were represented...if you write, you should perform your work. Or at least go out and listen to other poets. Support each other. Get out and attend open mics and poetry events! That is an order!

I read three of my pieces- Corn Bread and Beans, Texas Skies, and did one of my spoken word pieces untitled, and all by heart. Sadly my poetry books and bag were left at home in a rush, because I had to make an emergency eye doctor appointment on the way.

I forgot to talk with Bill about taking a tree home with me. Bill's wife told me most animals will leave them alone, except for squirrels. My first memory of a 'strange food' outside of my modest poverty foods of my youth is my neighbors fig tree. I would stand at the fence and gaze at it. One day the neighbor, whom all the kids in the neighborhood were afraid came out and asked me if I would like to try one. I said apprehensively "Yes" and thus began my love affair with food exploration.






















The sunshine held up until the last thirty minutes, and it began to rain. Bill put up a tent with chairs for us all, and thankfully! His gracious wife put out snacks, and I shared my spinach artichoke dip and celery sticks with them as well. I look forward to returning to Bill's Fig Farm again one day. Thanks Bill!

Want Figs and Poetry?

Bill's Figs
329 Old York Road
Flemington, NJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Elizabeth for the blog post. We all enjoyed your poetry as well.

Toon said...

Who knew that there were that many kinds of figs??
Hope your eye is okay.