Friday, May 13, 2011

I Need Some Boots


















Once again its Thursday Poem Share over at Jessie Carty's 58 Inches...

Cowboys and Aliens

I grew up near western horses, saw
cow’s and buffalo through wire fences

hung out with high school agriculture students
watched them ride in rodeo on weekends

when I decided to place myself
in the saddle, fit my shoes in the stirrups

grab the reigns I imagine heading toward
well traveled trails on a horse who also hungers

for freedom across the open range
carved out by buffalo, deer elk, and history

instead its head hangs low as we mosey
clippity clop over dry mud ball fields

riddled with pot holes and clover calling out
under low lying tree limbs catching city girls

off guard to what once belonged to wild folklore
grabbing my reigns as my doggy begins

heading back home to the barn full of hay
it doesn’t take much to convince us

we were not natural born riders but
aliens visiting another world.

(Vincent Van Gogh, A Pair of Boots, 1887 in above photo)

1 comment:

Liz Mays said...

I saw it in my mind. Love this, E!