Thursday, April 8, 2010

Friday Shoot Out- Country Roads

Gordon's choice- Country Roads, a song popularized by John Denver

We traveled many country roads in Texas, and I show you a few in New Jersey- with a little 'E' humor as well...

When my little sister and I were very young we did not have our own record player or radio like most kids today. We were very poor, and for entertainment in happy situations our family would sing and dance in the kitchen. At night Mary and I took it a bit further and would take our dad's flashlight into the room we shared, under the covers and someone gave us this tape recorder, so we would sing.

We coordinated taping this on my computer with her on the speaker phone. I remember when I crossed the border of Ohio into West Virginia when I moved to New Jersey, and this song rang out in my head and I could see John soaring with the eagles and God...







I just noticed Gordon let the cat out of the bag with a Heather, so I will share- I am flying down with hubby and friends to see Gordon and go fishing, and will post that trip after the end of April!

Oh and all the photos are mine except the chicken in the road, that was my sisters idea, yep she is a chip off this old block, we might even sound alike, we say we sound like our mother...

12 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

What a clever posting. My two daughters used to sing in the back of the car- very happy memories.

Unknown said...

this is quite a treat!! nice take on the theme and love the chicken!! how funny!

Kim, USA said...

Hahahaha this makes me really laugh because this song is what I sung too when I saw "Welcome to West Virginia" on our road trip few years ago. Happy Weekend!

Country Roads

Toon said...

What a great thing to keep and remember! I loved playing with a tape recorder when I was little.

queerlefty said...

I loved this post. It got to something that is really important about music; how it's essentially a social act,and an aggregator of memories. I also really liked the comment you left on Bryan's blog about how people get the chance to express something about themselves through music, no matter if they play it themselves or are simply listeners.

I think your point about how the availability of records was not evenly distributed is an important one. At the very least, I hope people like me, who have been flush with music for all our lives (not least because my mom, though we were of somewhat financially vulnerable middle class background - in Norwegian terms - and she always put my brother and me well before herself) have learned to appreciate all the chances we have been given, in this regard and others. Although I'm not necessarily a fan of cultural pessimism (the sense that things were necessarily better in the past), I appreciate Bryan's point about how the instant availability of all kinds of music has changed the definition of fanhood.

Gordon said...

Where is Ed Sullivan when you need him. I got a big kick out of your unique presentation.

Jama said...

I'm a big fan of John Denver and this is the my most favorite song of his. Simply love it and your idea or using his song together with the photos for this week's theme, so perfect!

~JarieLyn~ said...

Oh what a fabulous post. You are one brave girl. I loved it. Your slide show is great too but your singing made it authentic.

Kathy in CA said...

What a wonderful interpretation! I especially loved the 2nd picture with the police car. :) (and thank you to your sister!)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

So sad that John Denver died so prematurely. used to love his song.

Like that leg sticking out out the police cars, and the chicken crossing the road.

Suburban Girl said...

Hope you and Gordon have a blast! Couldn't view the clip - I often have trouble with that and I can't figure out why...but I imagined it. :)

GingerV said...

This was just too much fun. great job Momma - hope you have a blast with Gordon fishn!