Monday, July 13, 2009

A Look Back

















No, I did not photo shop this bird and its prey, or in this case its road kill into my rear view mirror...life happens, and I had never seen a vulture up close like this before...

Something we always do not want to deal with in life is death.

Sad, but true (no pun intended, well just a little)...

I notice I do not get a lot of comments when the topic is sad, and I wish people would say what they feel and not what is expected towards bereavement...

Today is the day before a landmark day in my life. Nine years ago tomorrow, my daughter passed away from a fourteen year battle with heart disease. Hard for me to believe it has already been nine years!

No, not a pretty thought. Not a pretty picture either.

She was pretty. She was Anelisa Diane Dillion.

We miss and love you more than I can ever express.

Death, however an ugly part of life, well...it is also a celebration of who we have become...

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

These famous words by John Donne were not originally written as a poem - the passage is taken from the 1624 Meditation 17, from Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions and is prose. The words of the original passage are as follows:

John Donne
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..."

10 comments:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

From one bereaved mum to another,

My angel Andrew will be twenty years in heaven this year. Your daughter must have suffered so much from her cancer. I believe if a person is suffering greatly, it is better for him/her to be released of pain.

Yes, as bereaved mums, we feel the pain and empty arms. It's like a piece of the puzzle of our life is missing, our life can never be the same again. Over time, we can slowly heal and move on.

My husband has a different attitude because of his background. They don't celebrate anniversaries and birthdays. So I celebrate his life and death in my heart. On those days, I remind the family.

God bless,

Ann

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

sorry, I reread your site, your daughter had heart problem, not cancer as I wrote in my last comment. Still, she must have suffered a lot. How old was she when she passed on?

My baby Andrew was only 55 days old.

Chef E said...

I also lost a child at 6 months pregnant, but we never named, nor knew the sex...

Ane was fourteen years old...yes, I feel the empty arms, she was so loving and creative...I miss having a daughter to do things with...

aurbie said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. It was a while ago, but that does not make the pain and less. All you can do is remember the good times and go forward with you life, keeping her in your heart always. I know she watches over you every day.

Liz Mays said...

I can't imagine that tomorrow is going to be an easy day for you. It doesn't matter that it's been 9 years. The emptiness never goes away. You just learn to adapt to it. I am so incredibly sorry.

About Me said...

E - On Saturday I hope you see a beautiful butterfly in the garden that reminds you of her and it makes you feel blessed. Do you have a picture of her to post? I'll see you tomorrow night. Sue

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Love you sweetie, always thinking and prayers for you.

You had an angel with you, she was as luck as you were to have you in her life. You're an incrediable woman/mom/wife! I'm blessed to know you.

Much love always with you!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Vultures are incredible creatures, they really remind you how death is such a natural part of 'life', they will have a carcass stripped to nothing in the blink of an eye. Literally gone without trace. At least people we've known & lost will live on in our memories...

gigi said...

Beautiful post and tribute to your daughter. Years don't really make it better all the way. It's still such a sad and great loss.
Many Blessings...

Unknown said...

Our first born grandson Alexander died of a heart that was too large. He was five months old. That was nine years ago. We miss him even though we have been blessed with four more grandchildren since. Loosing a fourteen year old would cause unthinkable pain. This is a reminder of how precious and fragile life is. Our thoughts and prayers go with you. Cherish your creative memories. xoxo