Friday, February 6, 2009

A Blast From The Past

This is going to seem more like a 'Journal' note than anything, but I have to say something. I realize that the past dozen blog entries have been about ME, but I am doing good. Change does not come easy. We go kicking and screaming...

(Cheryl is on the bottom, three from the right, and I noticed she always was in that spot in every school pic we had together...we had classes together till we graduated)

I got an email today from a my old school friend, Cheryl, her daughter, Kristina. I am not sure how I feel, but it is not her fault her mom and aunt (twins) decided I was too depressing to hang out with after Ane (daughter) died.

Reading her journal writings on her myspace page shows me she did suffer her own repercussions from her own childhood. Her mom was quite a party girl. One of my 'friend closet' cleaning things I would have done at some point in the past nine years. I lived other peoples lives to forget my own childhood growing up. Also was an enable'er...big time...

My heart goes out to her. When people have children and know they are not the greatest parents, why do they not do what I did and take responsibility for raising kids that will make better choices. Sure they will make mistakes, but at least down the road they look back and see that it is never to late to turn it all around.

On the positive, my friend from back then, Rhonda (roommate 78-82, college), we talk on a weekly basis now since I went to stay with her and Wes during my visit to my son in MO. She and I laugh at how silly we were during our 'off' period of the friendship, and say "What was it again we did to upset each other"? We laugh about how dumb we were during our 'not so good men' periods, and she realizes I took her home so many nights, and watched over her (she forgot). She reminded me that she was around when Ane died, and still plans on being around when we get too old to care anymore...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It great that you had friends! Sometimes we are too close to our situation that we can't see too well.

Anonymous said...

Real friends are so important. I had a lot of friends come and go, but there are a few that always stick around. I'm very thankful for them.