Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Still in Hawaii




Well, where do I begin?

A tsunami came at us in Hilo this past Saturday, but ended up being small waves.

A hurricane hit the east coast and the damage to our family's homes off Long Island was much worse than what my son went through in Princeton.

We arrived at a Halloween party Saturday night with no clue about the tsunami and was told we could not leave or go back to Jennie's place after 10 or so. It ruined it for me the whole night. I was worried and felt clueless to what was going on. My smart phone didn't help because I had less than 2G in the location we were at. The party goers seemed unaffected by the news. I survived when we got back to her house around midnight and finally fell asleep.

I spoke with all the family on the east coast and my son throughout the day yesterday. At about 11 PM Hawaii time and 5 AM eastern time my son called to say the power came back on, no cable though, and they were happy the food was not ruined. They even got out today and drove around. Minimal damage for inlanders, but the shore is destroyed. Most will rebuild, but I have a feeling this is not the end of storms of this size with weather change over the past few years.

We visited a tsunami museum here in Hilo, HI and they say the island is overdue for a BIG storm as well. The volcano is becoming more active, which we visited last night, and it seems our world is in for a big big change.

Otherwise, we are having fun. Most important, no sunburn!

hugs and peace to you all...

1 comment:

dash deringer said...

Hawaii... nice...

Follow this link my dear...

http://deringerfiles.blogspot.com/2012/11/and-i-will-be-rain.html

and enjoy yourself...