Thursday, September 5, 2013

How Do I Love Thee...
















Let me count the ways. I woke up in a funny mood and decided to make this my new Facebook status over the course of the next few weeks, if I last that long...

1) I love thee, like nuts love chocolate.
2) I love thee like cacti loves the high noon sun.
3) I love thee like biscuits love sausage gravy.
4) I love thee like plants love the pouring rain
5) I love thee like early birds love their worms



How Do I Love Thee
by Elizabeth Barret-Browning (1806-1861) 

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

(picture above taken from a free picture website with poem)

5 comments:

farmlady said...


This is a beautiful poem, sweetie, a most famous and lovely tribute to love.
How are you?

Chef E said...

I wish it was mine, but it is not-

I am writing up a storm with a couple who are professors of poetry and non-fiction, so lots of encouragement and work getting done.

I am doing great. How are you Farmlady? I come over to your site to keep up with you. You're busy busy!

Jim K. said...

Gotta let yourself go
for power rhetoric like that..
I see her soul flying out of
that fortress of solitude,
on wings ye show here.

Pearl said...

like the one you did of red hair loving the sun.

Chef E said...

I've written more but forget to come her and post...can't argue with a red head! Heh!